Medical Women Leaders Tell Their Stories
By: BUN, Alex
Medical Women Leaders tell their stories of the greatest assets and struggles for women in Medicine. Learn life/balance advice to enjoy your professional and personal life.
Medical Women Leaders tell their stories (193,4 KB)
What are the difficulties for men and women in Medicine?
- Marriage +/- children,
- Relationships with husbands/partners, wider family
- Balancing work and personal life
- Personal choices difficult
- Having time and energy to think!
“A woman will always sacrifice herself if you give her the opportunity…..it is her favorite form of self indulgence” – W.Somerset Maugham
- Length and inflexibility of College training programs
- Time-based training discriminates against women
- Part time training only available to a few
- Hospital organisation unfriendly to women (childcare and rosters)
- Partner’s job
What I Learned…
- Time management and priority setting are crucial
- Keep a boundary between home and work
- Give time to relationships – they won’t come back again!
- The importance of mentoring (male and female)
- Not to waste time on inessentials
- Focus activity – don’t spread yourself too thin