The Medical Women’s Association of Nigeria has had the opportunity to host the MWIA Near East and Africa Regional Congress in March 2021 allowing for growth of members and interaction among participants, ultimately improving the lives of women and children. Not only have we spoken about many projects in the last 3 months but we have acted, thereby living the motto of MWIA Healing with the Love of a mother.
9th MWIA Near East and Africa Regional Congress – Venue was – International Conference Centre, Abuja from 24 – 27 March, 2021 as a hybrid event. Theme – “Accelerated Universal Health Coverage – Priorities, Opportunities and Challenges.” The Congress had a total of 462 registered delegates. Participants comprised Medical Women and other participants from19 countries. The opening ceremony (25/3/21) link: https://youtu.be/h3GUauZwR0w & https://youtu.be/lllBRiJt2YQ.
Chaired by the Hon. Minister for Health, Dr. O. Ehanire with Prof. A. Grange as keynote speaker; in attendance – President MWIA, Dr. E. Nwadinobi; RVP MWIA NEAR Dr. C. Sadia; Hon. Minister of Women Affairs, Dame P. Tallen; NMA President, Prof. I Ujah; Sessions links – https://youtu.be/C9OcUWCpo48 https://youtu.be/fMaRjxZ_qnw https://youtu.be/QytLn3hPT5s
MWAN Ambassadors – Dr. F. Yemi-Esan the Head of Federal Civil Service (23/3/21); and 8 of the 54 MWAN members who supported the MWIA NEAR Congress with fifty thousand naira each and physically attended the Congress (26/3/21)
A pilot demonstration project to improve maternal and child healthcare in Powerline Community, Asaba, Delta State started on 17/4/21 involving conditional cash transfer to pregnant women who receive ante-natal care and deliver in government health facilities.
Advocacy – To the Hon. Minister for Finance, Dr. (Mrs.) Z. Ahmed (26/3/21) and HE Sen Dr. I. A. Okowa – Gov. Delta State (10/6/21) who was also decorated 12th MWAN Male Champion.
- Adopted Health facilities – Kaduna donated an Ultrasound machine to PHC Hayin Dogo Samaru with funding support from World Connect (6/4/21); in Delta donation of feeding bottles/infant formula to a baby with cleft lip and palate by Dr. Oseji (8/3/21); 1,000 tubes of chlorhexidine gel given to PHCDA Zamfara State (24/3/21) through MWAN State President, Dr. F. Abdulqadir and the State executives to Hon. Commissioner for Health.
- Women’s Rights To Health Information (WORTHI) project in 13 States – 7186 participants reached; 5892 fliers distributed. Cervical cancer lesions seen – 490.
- 82 Cases treated with LEEP, thermal ablation or cryotherapy and 257 calls were made.
- Pink Donor Project- Funds were used to support treatment of 3 more cases of Breast Cancer, 1 more case of cervical cancer, and screening done in 7 States.
- DAK fetal Doppler – 10,749 babies benefitted; and 295 cases referred for different complications at delivery in 7 states.
- DAK USS – used for 255 pregnant women in 2 facilities/States
- Health Facility Safety and Security banners
- World Blood Donor Day activities started (voluntary donations) during the 2nd week of June
- Other activities – CSW65 virtual participation, Economic empowerment series in April, May and June, webinar on Christian Marriage Counselling principles, MWIA Mentoring and Leadership for Medical women (MWIA SIG) ; International Women’s Day activities; International Day of the Boy Child https://www.facebook.com/282028532300387/posts/1152962991873599/