1. Female doctors advance to KMA executive officers in large numbers than before.
2. The Korean Medical Women’s Association Awards Ceremony for 2021 was held.
3. News from Kim Bong-ok, past president of the KMWA
Female doctors advance to KMA executive officers in large numbers than before.
On March 11, 2021, a forum for joint discussion of candidates for the presidential election of the Korean Medical Association (KMA) hosted by Korean Medical Women’s Association (KMWA) was held. Here, the KMWA requested that many female doctors be given an opportunity to participate in the executive officers of the KMA along with questions about medical policy (Fig.1). On May 1, the newly elected President Pil-su Lee confirmed the appointment of new executives of the KMA, and 7 female doctors including the vice-president (President Yoon Suk Wan of KMWA) were appointed as executive officers. This is more than double the number of female doctors compared to the previous executive officers.
The Korean Medical Women’s Association Awards Ceremony for 2021 was held.
The KMWA held an awards ceremony with great success in the presence of past presidents and advisors of KMWA, including the president of the KMA, the president of the Korean Hospital Association, and the vice president of the Seoul Medical Association. National Assemblyperson Shin Hyun-young of the Democratic Party of Korea attended the awards ceremony (Fig.2). The 30th ‘Women’s Medical Awards Gil Volunteer Award’ went to Park Kwi-Won, chair professor at Chung-Ang University Medical Center, who has devoted herself to treatment, research and education for more than 40 years as the godmother of pediatric surgery in Korea.The 2nd “Murok Nam Kyung-ae Shining Female Doctor Award” was awarded to Jung Eun-kyung, the head of the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency, who has been dedicated to public health as the vanguard of COVID-19 since the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in Korea on January 20, 2020.As academic awards, there were the 2nd “Boryung Young Doctor Award”, the 3rd “Hanmi Young Medical Scientist Academic Award”, the 25th “JW Pharmaceutical Academic Award, and the 12th Handok Academic Award. In addition to awards for exemplary members and chapters, and scholarship certificates were awarded to three medical school female students.
News from Kim Bong-ok, past president of the KMWA
- Kim Bong-ok, a former president of the KMWA, was awarded the Yonsei Medical Grand Prize for her good service at the 136th anniversary ceremony of Yonsei University on May 8, 2021.Then, on June 24, 2021 (Thursday), at the Yonsei University Alumni Association Awards Ceremony, she was awarded the Alumni Award for Shining Yonsei.
- She was appointed as the 6th chairperson of the National Bioethics Review Committee from June 2021 for three years. She also serves as chairperson of the National Institute of Bioethical Policy. The National Bioethics Review Committee, established in 2005, is a President’s agency and is responsible for establishing basic policies on bioethics and safety.